So I threw this question out to the Twitterverse to see if anyone has experienced the same thing. Didn’t get much of any reply (then again it is 5 pm MST lol) except for some spambot asking me if I need a quality backup solution that I don’t have to worry about…. annnnnnnnnnnnnd BLOCK!!!
Anyways… so I googled it… nothing.
So then I started to think about what the condition might actually be doing. I looked at the drive where my data is stored and made sure there wasn’t any old backup files for the database that were hanging around that might be failing the condition. I found nothing. Then it came to me… I wonder if the condition looks inside your backup history tables in the MSDB system database.
I queried the msdb.dbo.backupset table for the database name that was failing the condition… then I looked at the msdb.dbo.backupmediafamily table for the corresponding rows and I’m sure you know what I’m going to tell you.
I found a row in there from a VERY long time ago that showed my offending database being backed up to the data drive.
So I did some maintenance in my msdb to clean up some old data that was being stored in there, ran my policy again, and everything is now gumdrops and lollipops.
I guess the moral of the story is… “understand what your condition is doing before questioning it’s accuracy”
That being said… Policy Based Managment is Chock-a-block full of SQL goodness.